Blood Orange and Grapefruit Faux-Loma
So we’re jumping on the mocktail bandwagon (mocktail what a terrible name). January starts a month of deprivation for many who have enjoyed and inbibed a few too many over the holidays. Most of us start the year off with the best intentions……bettering ourselves, making positive changes, starting fresh, being more thoughtful and healthy. Well we’re here to help you keep at least one of your resolutions.
Let us introduce you to our Blood Orange & Grapefruit Faux-loma. A rif on the tequila based Paloma, our virgin mocktail (eww…still not loving that word) is the perfect combination of sweet, tart and refreshing. As one of our taste-testers exclaimed ‘it’s tee-totally-awesome’! Plus it’s full of citrus juice. Think of it as a vitamin C goldmine during the wintertime.
- Maldon or coarse salt to rim your glass
- 1/2 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup fresh blood orange juice
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp agave (whatever sweetener you like)
- 3 dashes grapefruit bitters (optional)
- 3 ice cubes
- soda or kombucha to top up
- Rub the rim of two highball glasses with a lime or grapefruit wedge. Dip the rims into the salt.
- In a cocktail shaker place the grapefruit, blood orange and lime juice with the agave, bitters and 3 ice cubes.
- Shake until the agave has dissolved and the outside of the cocktail shaker is cold (about 20 seconds).
- Pour through a strainer, dividing between the two glasses.
- Add ice.
- Top each with soda water or kombucha.
- Garnish with a wedge of blood orange.
Good news is when you’ve fallen off and the New Year’s resolution ‘cheat days’ outnumber the days you’ve actually gone without, the addition of 2 oz. of Tequila or Mezcal will take you away on a virtual Mexican vacation. You’ll be relaxing poolside in no time!
All recipes, food styling, photography and pairings are our own creations.
Thank you for stopping by our blog.
Cheers and eat up!
Josie and Christie